Colcannon

A fast and easy dish - colcannon

Historical Food Fortnightly Challenge 4:6 - Erin Go Bragh!

Actual Irish dishes, or those with only the most tenuous association to Ireland and/or St. Patrick's Day.

The recipe comes from The Domestic Oracle:  A Complete System of Modern Cookery and Family Economy by Alexander Murray, M.D.  (London, 1860)



I was intrigued by this recipe since it gave me permission to use any leafy hardy green instead of the more normal cabbage.   This recipe, in which the only recommended green is cabbage, seemed more "normal."  (The Practice of Cookery Adapted to the Business of Every-Day Life by Mrs. Dalgairns,12th edition, Edinburgh, 1850)



The question we should always ask ourselves in a historical context is "What IS normal?  From where am I deriving my concept for standardization?"  While modern recipes restrict their greens to cabbage, does that mean it was the same in the nineteenth century?

Opinions vary.  A footnote in an article from 1825 offers the option of parsnips mixed with potatoes ("The Enigma,"  in Noctes Ambrosianea.).   St Martha's Home by Emily Bowles (Dublin, 1864) prefers cabbage as the green.



So it seems in a historical context, we can use other hardy greens than cabbage if desired.  Which is basically a good nerdy way to justify using spinach in my recipe!

Making the Recipe


Quantities are not going to be much help here.  Trying to get into the spirit of using what one has, I selected spinach for my green, largely because I had some old spinach that needed to be used up.  My Irish potatoes (reds) were a bit on the older side too.   The recipe specifies using equal quantities of potato and spinach, but since spinach cooks down so much, this was difficult to estimate.  I basically used all the spinach I had on hand.

So, what do you need?  Some potatoes, peeled and chunked.  Some spinach (or cabbage - or parsnip!), a bit of butter, a bit of milk, salt and pepper.   I opted for milk rather than the more luxurious cream.

I almost feel silly explaining how I made this, since it's such a basic concept, but it gives me a place to put some photographs!

Peel your potatoes, discarding any bad bits and removing the eyes.  Chunk.  Place in a 3-4 quart pot with cold water, bring to a boil and cook the potatoes until fork tender.  Drain and return the potatoes to the stove.  Over low heat, shaking constantly, let the potatoes steam until dryish.  Mash the potatoes with a masher, adding a bit of butter and milk. I used bacon drippings instead of butter. Like many of us, I do this by feel and by taste.  



In a different pot, boil the spinach until cooked.   





Drain in a colander, then squeeze out all the liquid that you can.  Chop the spinach on a cutting board.





Stir the squeezed spinach into the potatoes, mixing to incorporate well.   Adjust the seasonings as needed.




Transfer the potato-greens mixture into a greased bowl.  Place in a preheated 350-degree oven until hot through. 




Cost

I'd estimate less than $6.  The ingredients were older vegetables I already had, so your cost would depend upon your local sales and what you had on stock.

Results

We both enjoyed the colcannon very much.  It is satisfying and comforting.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mid-Nineteenth Century Lady's Nightcap

New Year's Cake

Union Cake (and some Gluten Free Recipes!)