Knit Undersleeves


My current project is a pair of knit undersleeves from The queen's winter knitting book, by Mrs. Mee & Miss Austin. I am part of a knit-along that worked on this project, however, due to a broken arm in the spring, I am woefully behind. I am now at the stage of "knit behind" rather than "knit along." Oh, I know I could simply start the new project, but I am more interested in this one.

I am making mine out of white fingering weight wool. So far I have ripped them out twice, largely because 2 mysterious stitches keep showing up on my needles.

An undersleeve is a second sleeve worn under the outer dress sleeve. Warm weather sleeves are made from light-weight white fabrics such as organdy or lawn. Undersleeves serve a practical purpose; they keep body oils off of the fashion fabric and can be washed and bleached (the reason for using white fabric). Many dresses are made of wool or silk and cannot be washed, so protecting the fabric is very important. A winter undersleeve does not have to be white, but white will make this pair more versatile for me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mid-Nineteenth Century Lady's Nightcap

New Year's Cake