Bread Part 2 - Sally Lunn

Time for a Do Over!

Sally Lunn with butter and raspberry jam

I was really unhappy about the bread failing (see previous post), so I decided to try again.  

Challenge 7: Pretty as a Picture

I'll be honest - at this point I didn't care how pretty the result was or not - I just wanted the bread to rise and have an acceptably light but not over light texture.

We could discuss variations on Sally Lunn ad infinitum - I've seen batter versions that are poured into the pan, shaped buns, and bread loaves.  The recipe I selected suggests it can be griddle cooked, resulting in something similar to an English muffin.

We could discuss who Sally Lunn was and trace the recipe from England to America.  But, you know what?  Perhaps another time.  I'm just fighting mad after the last challenge failure.  We are just going to focus on this bread and getting it to come out (it's baking as I type)


The Recipe, Year, and Region

This version of Sally Lunn comes from Miss Leslie's Directions for Cookery, In Its Various Branches, published in 1840 in Philadelphia.




How Did I Make It?

Ingredients

1 1/2 lb white flour  (I have a food scale, which makes these measurements so nice and easy!)
3 medium eggs at room temperature
A mixture of milk and water, totaling 2 cups, at 100 degrees F
2 T dried yeast
2 T butter, melted and cooled
pinch of salt


To make sure the yeast was happy, I mixed it with the milk and water, then added the butter.  I set the bowl to proof in a proofing cabinet (my oven with the light bulb on and a cup of boiling water for heat and humidity).  The fats slowed the proofing, so I let it sit for 20 minutes.  It still didn't have much reaction, but I decided to go with it.

I mixed the flour and salt, then made a well in the center.  After adding the milk/butter/yeast mixture, I added the well-beaten eggs and mixed the dough until thoroughly blended.  

I didn't know what size pan would be appropriate, This is recipe produced a soft yeasty dough, so the tube pan I use for batter versions would not work.  I turned the dough into a well-buttered cast iron pan (size 8 chicken fryer with deep sides).  I set it to rise for 30 minutes.

Risen, ready for the oven


I baked at 350 F for 40 minutes.



The Sally Lunn turned out smoothly and had a lovely crisp crust.    





How Much Did It Cost?

Not all that much - everything was in my pantry.  The flour was about $1.00. $1.00 for the eggs.  Perhaps $3.00 total


How Did It Turn Out?

Very very well!  It rose!  I think the most important thing is to adjust your expectations - some Sally Lunns are very sweet and cake-y; this is more breadlike.


Comments

  1. From the recipes I've read and tried, Sally Lunn bread is from the American South. It's a yummy golden yellow yeast cake. Sally Lunn buns are something completely different- more like a sweet bun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Mid-Nineteenth Century Lady's Nightcap

New Year's Cake

Union Cake (and some Gluten Free Recipes!)