A Delicate Butter Cookie




I thought I would try another cookie this week.  I was drawn to this recipe because it had sugar sprinkled on top, which seems like a very contemporary touch.  Because there is no flavoring extract, the cookie flavor is delicate, tasting primarily of butter and sugar.

The Recipe

This recipe comes from The Genesee Farmer, Vol XX, February 1859.



The Ingredients

The first ingredients on the list are pretty straight forward - a cup of butter, 2 cups of sugar, 4 eggs.  I set the butter and eggs out to come to room temperature.

The sour milk - per standard substitution, I made my own sour milk.  I measured 1  2/3 T of milk into a glass and added 1 t of lemon juice.  I stirred the milk and lemon juice together and let them sit for roughly 5 minutes.  

Saleratus is a leavening agent that both precedes and is concurrent with baking soda. I used a 1 to 1 substitution and used 1 t of baking soda.

Flour.  You will notice there is no flour listed in the recipe.  Flour is understood; this omission is frequently seen in period bread recipes.     I added 3 c of flour and then slowly added the flour one 1/2 c at a time, testing the cookie dough after each addition.  I knew I didn't want a stiff dough, but one that could be rolled.  When the cookie dough pulled cleanly from the sides of the bowl and I could pat a small bit on the palm of my hand, I decided I had enough flour.  You may find my estimate to be satisfactory, or you may try adding more flour.  


A nice, smooth, non-sticky cookie dough

Cookie Cutter:  No size was specified.  I chose to make these the same size as Mrs. Bliss' ginger cookies and used a shot glass as the cutter.  If you select a larger cutter, expect to adjust your baking time.






Baking time:  I aimed for the butter cookie ideal - a baked cookie with no browned bottom - or only the very slightest brown.  I checked minute by minute for appropriate doneness.  Lots of taste testing was involved!



Baking

1 c butter, at room temperature
2 c white sugar
4 eggs at room temperature
1 2/3 T milk, mixed with 1 t of lemon juice
1 t baking soda
5 c flour
extra sugar


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Let the butter and eggs come to room temperature
Mix the milk with the lemon juice and let it sour.

Cream the butter, add the sugar.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time.  
Mix the baking soda into the soured milk, stirring until it dissolves.  The milk will begin to foam and the baking soda reacts with the acid.  Add the dough and mix.

Add flour 1 c at a time.  I found 5 c to be just about perfect.

Once mixed, divide the dough into smaller sections and remove, one section at at time,  to a well-floured pastry board.  Roll about 1/4" thick, cut with a shot glass.  Place on well-greased cookie sheets (or use a silicon liner).

Bake the cookies for 4 min.  Sprinkle pinches of sugar on each cookie, return to the oven, and continue baking for 3 more minutes.  Remove to a baking rack to cool.

The cookies puff up a small amount but do not really spread.  The cookies are soft, rather than crisp.

Yield: 9 or more dozen small cookies.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mid-Nineteenth Century Lady's Nightcap

New Year's Cake